Ballon d’Or cancelled for 2020 due to coronavirus

For the first time in its history, the Ballon d’Or will not be awarded in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

It has been awarded every year since 1956, however France Football, the organisation who awards the Ballon d’Or, said that 2020 was not an ordinary year due to the interruptions. Some league seasons were cut short and meant that there could not be a fair comparison between players for this year.

The trophies for the best women’s player, best goalkeeper and best young player will also not be awarded.

A France Football Dream Team will take the awards place for this year. The usual juries will be asked to choose 11 players for a dream team.

“Because the history of soundtrack is too precious to take the risk of damaging it with a wobbly exercise,” Pascal Ferré said, editor-in-chief of France Football.

“In these hectic times, taking a break is a luxury as well as an inestimable necessity. So that football, as a whole, regains momentum and momentum, passion and emotion.

“We did not want to place an indelible asterisk on the style ‘Trophy won in exceptional circumstances due to the Covid-19 health crisis’. We will always prefer a small sprain (to our story) to a big scar. It was the first time since 1956 that the Ballon d’Or had taken a break.

“The parenthesis does not enchant us but seems to us the most responsible and logical. Protecting the credibility and legitimacy of such an award also means ensuring that it is irreproachable over time.”

Coronavirus is still affecting soccer leagues across the world, although in the last week both the English Premier League and Major League Soccer have had zero positive results in their tests of players and club staff. Both leagues tested more than a thousand people.

Earlier this month MLS teams FC Dallas and Nashville SC had to withdraw from the ‘MLS is Back’ tournament after a high number of players in their squads tested positive to COVID-19.

On Tuesday it was also announced that a La Liga2 game between RC Deportivo and CF Fuenlabrada had to be postponed after some members of CF Fuenlabrada tested positive to the virus.

Avatar
Daniel Foley is a sports junior journalist with Soccerscene. He reports widely on football policy and micro industry matters.

Graduates congratulated after completing FIFA Diploma in Club Management program

FIFA President Gianni Infantino has congratulated the 2024 graduates of the FIFA Diploma in Club Management course at FIFA headquarters, which include former Socceroo Tim Cahill and former Manchester City player Fernandinho.

Since its launch in 2021, the FIFA Diploma in Club Management has become a networking platform for senior club executives to share knowledge about the industry insights essential for successful football club management. The 18-month course is comprised of six-course models, each covering important topics and aspects of club management.

The topics which are covered in this course are leadership and management, sporting strategy and youth academies, marketing and communication, club operations and stadium management, governance and legal matters and finance.

Infantino spoke to the attendees of the graduation ceremony in Zurich, Switzerland:

“The course’s aim was to encourage knowledge and best practice exchange to be able to ensure football’s continued growth and health worldwide,” he said in a statement.

“You understand that club football is crucial for the development and the survival of football in all countries of the world.

“That is what we have to foster and what we have to work on, and to do this, you have to be well-equipped and well-prepared, and this is our aim at FIFA: to give you this preparation, to give you this equipment, to open the doors of FIFA here in Zurich and everywhere in the world.

“Our doors are open for you to come and exchange with us, and also to exchange between yourselves.”

The graduates of the second edition of the FIFA Diploma in Club Management started back in September 2022 in New York where they attended lectures given by the likes of FIFA Chief of Global Football Development Arsène Wenger and FIFA Chief Women’s Football Officer Sarai Berman and their final project of the course was a strategy plan which was presented before the graduation.

The third edition of the program began in May 2024 and is headed by FIFA Director of Professional Football Ornella Desirée Bellia. Some of the participants who are involved include former Juventus player Giorgio Chiellini and Como 1907 coach Cesc Fàbregas alongside club owners, CEO’s and sporting directors.

Soccerscene celebrates sixth-year anniversary

Soccerscene is celebrating its sixth anniversary as Australia’s business-to-business publication for the football community.

Since its inception, Soccerscene has committed to the highest standards of reporting on the most pressing topics surrounding the world of sports business. We have been the first port of call for potential buyers and sellers and deliver all the first-hand news – including interviews, discussions, product reviews, case studies and insight into all facets of the growing Australian and international football market.

Here at Soccerscene, we can’t celebrate six years without thanking all our readers, followers and the numerous industry and club communities for helping us along the way.

Special thanks goes to our major partners including Football Coaches Australia, Professional Footballers Australia and Box2Box – your constant support has been crucial to all we have achieved over these last six years.

Thank you to everyone and we are excited for the future years ahead in this constantly developing industry – from all us at Soccerscene.

Most Popular Topics

Editor Picks

Send this to a friend