Clifton Park receives resounding support

Clifton Park

Members of the Victorian football community have shown incredible support for the much-loved synthetic pitch of Clifton Park in Brunswick, Melbourne.

Ahead of the event on Wednesday night, clubs wanted to make a stand to say that the synthetic surface of Clifton Park deserves to stay, and that plans to replace it with natural grass should be abandoned.

Teams got together on the same pitch for open training sessions, showcasing not only the value it has for coaching, but also for the general community who come along to use it daily.

The evening featured key stakeholders from both club and council level who all shared the same view that synthetic is here to stay, in passionate speeches that really captivated what the get together was all about.

One of the key speakers was Moreland City Councillor Oscar Yildiz, who explained why all synthetic pitches are important for sustaining participation numbers.

“There are schools that use this facility every day – families use it during the day and clubs do so in the evening, you can play here 24/7,” he said.

“If the weather conditions continue like it did this year, and inconsistent weather keeps happening, how are clubs going to survive?

“What does the next 20 years look like for sporting clubs? We’re not against the environment or climate change, but it’s valuing mental health for our kids.

“It’s about supporting all the kids that have come out in support, and then the families as well – this is the community.

“Synthetic pitches need to continue and we need to keep building these facilities, not replacing them with grass.

“In New South Wales, they are actually creating more synthetic-based facilities than Victoria.

“Anyone including councillors or politicians that say we need to look for alternatives haven’t considered the value these facilities provide.”

Oscar Yildiz speaking to attendees

After the event, Sebastian Hassett, Football Victoria’s Head of Government Relations & Facilities, spoke to Soccerscene reiterating the importance of synthetic pitches.

“It was a fantastic turnout, so many clubs and participants have supported a facility we desperately want to save,” he said.

“We know that participation in Moreland is soaring – demand for the game has never been higher and only going to be greater particularly with two World Cups coming up.

“It will be unlike any period in Australian football history, so we need all the facilities we can get.”

 

Hassett explained why synthetic pitches play such a pivotal role in the availability of facilities.

“Our job as a sport is to find these spaces for kids to play,” he said.

“Towards the end of winter, so many facilities around Melbourne are struggling to keep up with the demands of our game.

“There are many teams across heaps of clubs playing on our facilities – that’s where synthetics have a valuable role.”

Part of the proposal for removing synthetic pitches is the harm to health and the environment, but that supposed claim is countered by Hassett, outlining the benefits of synthetics like Clifton Park.

“Synthetics have three times the utilisation of natural grass – that is a fact we want to promote to people,” he said.

“We believe in the new technology that exists, it’s significantly better for the environment than what has previously been available under the old synthetic technology – it’s enhanced dramatically.

“As a result, when we see renewals come in for places like this, it’s going to be better for the environment because there’s no extra maintenance, fertiliser, and wastage of council costs.

“We think synthetic is a win-win for everyone.”

Previous ArticleNext Article

Football West runs Indigenous pilot program during NAIDOC Week’s 50th anniversary

Football West ran a pilot program for Indigenous children at the Sam Kerr Football Centre during NAIDOC Week’s 50th anniversary. Former Socceroo David Williams delivered the session.

This year’s national NAIDOC theme, “50 Years of Deadly,” marks five decades since the movement began. It honours the Elders, artists and communities who built it.

“Having these young indigenous kids here at the Sam Kerr Football Centre was great to see,” Williams said. “The feeling they got running around the same pitch the Socceroos and Matildas have trained on was special for them and me.”

A player turned administrator

Williams retired from professional football in November 2025 after a career-ending ACL injury. As a teenager he trained with Club Brugge and Liverpool, and coach Miron Bleiberg once described him as the “best Australian prospect since Harry Kewell.”

He went on to become the first Indigenous player to represent Melbourne City, scored in the UEFA Cup against Eintracht Frankfurt, and won the Indian Super League with ATK.

Since retiring, Williams has moved into administration at Football West. He also sits on the Indigenous Football Australia Council, which oversees the grassroots initiative John Moriarty Football.

A name with its own history

Football Australia named Williams head coach of the Charles Perkins XI last year, the governing body’s national Indigenous youth team. Football Australia renamed the side in 2025 in honour of Dr Charles Perkins AO, following endorsement from the Perkins family and the National Indigenous Advisory Group.

Perkins, an Arrernte and Kalkadoon man, played for Adelaide Croatia and Pan Hellenic in the 1950s. He went on to become the first Aboriginal Australian to graduate from university and a leader of the 1965 Freedom Rides.

Football Australia has described the renamed team as reflecting a commitment to embedding cultural identity and leadership within its high-performance pathway for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander youth.

What happens next

“After living out my dream as a professional player, to now being able to offer experiences like this and hopefully inspire the next generation of young Indigenous footballers is very rewarding,” Williams said. “There is also a lot of talent that we can tap into.”

He said running the session during NAIDOC Week let Football West mark two things at once. “Creating a fun session for these kids during NAIDOC Week meant we could celebrate culture and sport in one go,” he said.

Williams wants the session to become a regular fixture rather than a single event. “Going forward, I would love to put on more of these programs throughout the year and get more indigenous youngsters playing football,” he said.

Football West has not yet confirmed funding or a schedule for further sessions.

ParaMatilda to headline Frankston Pines’ new cerebral palsy program

A ParaMatilda will appear at Frankston Pines Soccer Club on Saturday as the club launches Victoria’s newest cerebral palsy football program during Football Victoria’s first dedicated Para Engagement Round.

The event, part of Round 7 of the All Abilities League Junior & Youth divisions, runs at Monterey Reserve, Monterey Boulevard, Frankston North. Children and young people with cerebral palsy, acquired brain injury or stroke-related symptoms can register for come-and-try sessions and meet current para athletes.

The ParaMatildas are the reigning world champions after winning the 2024 IFCPF Women’s World Cup. The victory made them the first Australian national football side to win a World Cup at any level. Goalkeeper and captain Katelyn Smith scored a hat-trick in the 6-2 final win over the United States.

The round coincides with Frankston Pines’ official launch of its new cerebral palsy football program. The club has organised a day including a Beyond the Limits cerebral palsy football showcase, community market stalls, face painting, a colouring competition, a jumping castle, fairy floss and a free sausage sizzle.

The event also raises awareness of Football Victoria’s upcoming Para Pathways Clinics, which will provide children and young people with neurological conditions an opportunity to explore the para football pathway. Further details about the clinics will be released soon.

The engagement round builds on the growth of Victoria’s All Abilities League, which has expanded from a single division in 2017 to 20 teams across four divisions representing 12 clubs this season.

Football Victoria launched its Disability Football Framework in December 2025, a strategic initiative to strengthen the delivery of disability football programs across the state. The Framework sets direction for FV’s work, guiding the development of new resources, guidance and minimum standards that clubs can use in the future.

FV All Abilities & Inclusion Programs Coordinator Selin Arpaci, named Administrator of the Year at the 2025 Victorian Disability Sport & Recreation Awards, said the framework marked a shift from ad hoc delivery to a structured approach.

“We’re no longer doing things just because they’ve always been done that way,” Arpaci said. “Our approach is now intentional, structured, and genuinely supportive for players, clubs and the community”.

Access remains a focus. The 2024-25 Regional All Abilities Participation Grants, funded by the Victorian Government, have supported clubs including Mitchell Rangers, Traralgon Olympians and Phillip Island Soccer Club to establish or expand all abilities programs.

Football Victoria has also partnered with Powerchair Sports Victoria to strengthen pathways for people with disabilities, while monthly women and girls cerebral palsy football sessions now run at The Home of the Matildas.

Frankston Pines has been a regular participant in the All Abilities League, with its inclusive program providing opportunities for people with physical, psychosocial or intellectual disabilities to participate in a supportive environment.

Most Popular Topics

Editor Picks

Send this to a friend