fbpx
Liam Watson is a Senior Journalist with Soccerscene. He reports widely on international football policy, industry matters and industry 4.0

Queensland football legend Matt McKay appointed to FQ Board of Directors

McKay announcement

Football Queensland has announced the recruitment of former Brisbane Roar captain Matt McKay as an Appointed Director to the Football Queensland board.

A former Socceroo who was capped a total of 59 times for his country, McKay enjoyed a stellar playing career at both international and domestic level.

McKay’s time with the Roar saw him lead a historic Brisbane team to their first-ever A-League Premiership and Championship in 2011 under Ange Postecoglou.

Spells with Scottish giants Rangers, Korean side Busan IPark and Chinese side Changchun Yatai preceded a second Premiership and Championship double with the Roar in 2014. McKay is currently the Roar’s record appearances holder in the A-League.

McKay shone on the international stage with the Socceroos as he took on the likes of Spain at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and won the Asian Cup on home soil in 2015, having continued to thrive within the Postecoglou setup that he had come to know earlier in the decade.

McKay’s earliest footballing roots can be traced back to playing youth football with the QAS and AIS. From there, McKay went on to feature in the National Soccer League for current NPL Queensland side Brisbane Strikers before eventually excelling in the A-League.

“Matt is a proud Queenslander and brings extensive knowledge of the football landscape and the player pathway in our state, as well as his unique experience as a player on the national and international stage,” FQ Chairman Ben Richardson said.

“We’re delighted to welcome Matt to the FQ Board, and his appointment is timely as Football Queensland implements new league structures to connect competitions across the state as part of the Future of Football 2020+ reforms.

“The FQ Board is confident that Matt will play an instrumental role as we strengthen community clubs, player development and opportunities for aspirational clubs by connecting the football pyramid in Queensland, and we look forward to working with him.”

Football Victoria reveal plans for return to play

The Victorian Government has announced more support for grassroots through the Sporting Club Grants Program.

Football Victoria (FV) has released a plan detailing how the remaining games of the 2021 season will be completed once restrictions are lifted, and they are asking for feedback in regards to two different scenarios for completing the State League and National Premier League seasons.

FV has put forward two options. The season will either be extended into November to ensure that the entire season is completed, or only two more games will be played before teams enter the playoffs for promotion and relegation.

Option 1 for Men’s State League and National Premier League
Option 2 for Men’s State League and National Premier League

FV CEO Kimon Taliadoros addressed in a statement on August 17 that FV was committed to ensuring that the season is completed in a satisfactory manner.

“When the lockdown ends, we’ll be ready to assist Clubs to get back out playing as quickly as possible, as much as possible. We will be vigilant in working with government, councils and our clubs to provide a COVID safe and compliant environment for any of our activities,” he said.

“Further detail will be shared on these arrangements as we approach September 3, the current lockdown end date. These plans include exploring alternative competition options as well as the possibility of a season extension, double-header weekends and for some competitions, mid-week matches.”

Option 1 for Women’s State League and National Premier League
Option 2 for Women’s State League and National Premier League

The 2020-21 junior season will be extended until September 19, subject to when teams can return to play after the Victoria-wide lockdown has ended.

Juniors and MiniRoos (U7-U21)

Junior games will be fixtured on both Saturday and Sunday to ensure catch up games are completed.

FV has agreed a facility sharing agreement with Cricket Victoria for September, however decisions involving facility access still remain with local councils.

Men’s metropolitan and masters

Regional areas, which are out of the state wide lockdown, have returned to play.

Taliadoros added the return to play in regional areas was an example of how quickly football is able to return once restrictions are lifted.

“For those in regional Victoria, we’re so, so pleased you are carrying the torch for football and Futsal in our state. As hard as it is for metro participants to miss matches, it is heartening to see the vision from regional Victoria of a more COVID-normal way of life,” he said.

“Your excitement is infectious and seeing you living and loving football uplifts us all. Please keep sharing your magic moments each week.”

The full document and details can be downloaded here.

You can leave feedback for Football Victoria at the following links:

© 2021 Soccerscene Industry News. All Rights reserved. Reproduction is prohibited.

Most Popular Topics

Editor Picks