fbpx

FFA form committee to consult on National Second Division

On Monday, the FFA announced they had convened a broad cross section of the football community to join the first steering committee of the National Second Division.

A statement from the FFA can be found here:

The Committee met for the first time last week and commenced work towards establishing a process and timetable for a NSD Competition.

Committee Chairman Remo Nogarotto said the objective of the committee was to commence laying out the framework for the competition which will grow football’s footprint and be a significant step forward for the sport in Australia.

“The first task of the Committee is to review the recommendations of the NSD Whitepaper, which was released in June and commence the task of drafting the competition architecture, including a budget, for the national second division, as well as consider an Expression of Interest process and timeline,” Nogarotto said.

The committee will report back to the FFA Board in the coming months, with an Expression of Interest process expected to commence thereafter.

The committee includes Women’s Football Council Committee member Sue Crow, Football Federation South Australia President Sam Ciccarello, Football Victoria President Kimon Taliadoros, Newcastle Jets CEO Lawrie McKinna, PFA Chief Executive John Didulica, Australian Association of Football Clubs Chairman Nick Galatas and AAFC Treasurer Christo Patsan.

In addition to these members, Caltex Socceroos Head Coach Graham Arnold and FFA Technical Director Rob Sherman will be co-opted onto the committee to advise on technical matters.

Sherman said player development was pivotal for the future success of our National Teams

“I’m looking forward to working with the National Second Division Steering Committee as we seek to develop the national competition structure. A robust competition structure will provide a pathway for not only for players, but for coaches, referees and administrators which will ultimately mean Australian football will be better placed to achieve more success internationally”.

Caelum Ferrarese is a Senior journalist with Soccerscene. He reports widely on micro policy within Australasia and industry disruptions at grassroots level.

Football Victoria cancels competitions in Melbourne for 2021

The City of Greater Geelong has engaged with Football Victoria to further plans for a regional soccer centre.

Football Victoria (FV) have announced the cancellation of all metropolitan Melbourne competitions for the remainder of the 2021 season.

In a letter to the football community, FV CEO Kimon Taliadoros and FV President Antonella Care explained that the decision was made in the best interests of those who make the game what it is in Victoria.

“FV’s vision is to provide Football For All, Anywhere, Anytime, and alongside the valuable feedback of our stakeholders, this has continued to shape our decision making process. Importantly though, the safety of our community sits above all else, as our most important consideration for all football decisions throughout the pandemic.

“Our NPL and Competitions teams have worked day and night to produce an extraordinary body of work, planning multiple scenarios for every competition. This work is detailed, well-considered and milestone driven.

“We would like to express our gratitude to our football community, who have engaged in roundtable discussions, completed surveys and provided direct feedback to the team, all of which has been absolutely essential for us to best align with the needs of our community.

“Many of the planned scenarios have been eliminated in recent weeks, due to the key dates passing with extended lockdowns across the state.

“Unfortunately, the most recent Government announcement means our options to complete the 2021 season for our metropolitan Melbourne competitions have now reached an end.”

“We know this news is disappointing, particularly following last year’s abandoned season.

“Winter sport has borne the brunt of lockdowns and in turn, the impact on our football community has been immense. Our Clubs, Associations, Officials, Administrators, Volunteers and Players have bravely weathered the storm, rallying through each round of restrictions, showing a resilience that I know will keep our community strong through yet another challenge.”

As a result of the cancelled competitions in Melbourne, there will be no outcomes in regards to promotion and relegation between divisions. No premiers or champions will be crowned as well, as a result.

FV are still optimistic of a return to football for participants in Regional Victoria, subject to the easing of government restrictions and the governing body’s outlined conditions.

The organisation will also engage with clubs involved in the NIKE F.C. Cup and Dockerty Cup finals, to determine whether these games are able to be completed by the end of the year.

More information in regards to FV’s Fee Refund Policy will be sent out to the community by Friday, 17 September.

For further developments and to access other resources visit: https://www.footballvictoria.com.au/

Sydney FC announce landmark partnership with Bank Of Sydney

Alex Wilkinson BoS

A brand-new commercial partnership has been inked between historic A-League side Sydney FC and the Bank of Sydney.

As A-League heavyweights and record holders for total Championships and Premierships within Australia’s domestic top-flight, such partnerships represent significant steps being taken by A-League sides to grow the strength of the league’s brand.

Bank of Sydney is dedicated to forging strong relationships with customers and community groups looking for a personal, rewarding banking experience. The deal represents a major alignment with a sports club.

Sydney FC Chief Executive Officer Danny Townsend was delighted to announce the Bank of Sydney as a partner for the club heading into the future.

“It’s a great partnership between two proud Sydney institutions,” he said.

“Sydney FC and Bank of Sydney have a shared focus on serving their people and their communities in Sydney, New South Wales and Australia. With our dual focus I can’t wait to see what we can achieve together in this space.”

Miltos Michaelas, the Bank of Sydney’s Chief Executive Officer, reiterated Townsend’s excitement at the prospect of the two institutions joining forces.

“We’re really excited that our major sports partnership is with Australia’s most successful football club,” he said.

“Like Sydney FC, we’re committed to diversity, inclusiveness and supporting our customers. Our plan is to combine our efforts and ensure we are both serving our community to the best of our ability.”

“I can’t wait for the season and our work together to begin, and I’m looking forward to a great couple of years.”

Over the next two seasons, Bank of Sydney’s logo will appear on the front of the Sydney FC’s A-League shorts, they will be involved in home game activations and will provide a supportive digital presence to the Sydney FC audience.

© 2021 Soccerscene Industry News. All Rights reserved. Reproduction is prohibited.

Most Popular Topics

Editor Picks