fbpx

Football Queensland’s collaboration with Ultra Football sees match balls distributed

Ultra Football FQ Partnership

Thanks to the efforts of Football Queensland’s official match ball partner Ultra Football, thousands of Nike footballs have been distributed free of charge to Queensland clubs all throughout the state.

Ultra Football are an online sports retailer originating from Sydney who specialise in selling genuine brand boots and shirts, including Nike, adidas and Puma. Most notably, they have the largest physical football store in the world based in the suburb of Alexandria in Sydney.

Announced in December 2020, the ground-breaking partnership between FQ and Ultra Football has delivered tens of thousands of dollars of value to clubs across the state already.

FQ Chief Executive Officer Robert Cavallucci expressed his delight at the support that the partnership with Ultra Football has afforded clubs state-wide.

“This innovative Queensland-wide partnership has provided free balls to hundreds of clubs from Mt Isa to Mackay to Moreton Bay,” he said.

“Nike is the official competition ball for the National Premier Leagues Queensland and the Football Queensland Premier League in 2021, but this partnership also provides direct benefits to grassroots clubs.

“We consulted with clubs across the state and Nike was clearly the preferred ball, so it has been great to see so many clubs from all levels of the game receiving their Nike balls from Ultra Football.

“This is a great example of Football Queensland negotiating on behalf of the state to deliver a positive outcome for Queensland clubs.

“Football Queensland is delivering on its strategic objective to provide greater resources for our clubs and high-quality participation experiences for players no matter their level or geographic location.”

Matthew Adams, General Manager of Ultra Football, said he was proud to partner with FQ to provide footballs to clubs throughout the state.

“Over the past few months Ultra Football has dispatched hundreds of orders to clubs and the feedback so far has been terrific,” he said.

“We are proud to supply the official match balls for the NPL and FQPL competitions as well as to grassroots clubs across the state.”

Western Melbourne Group to begin works for Wyndham City Stadium

Western Melbourne Group (WMG) has given a key update on plans for the Wyndham City Stadium and its surrounding precinct.

Western Melbourne Group (WMG) has given a key update on plans for the Wyndham City Stadium and its surrounding precinct.

WMG, the parent company of Western United FC – has committed to the week commencing October 25, 2021 as the time to get construction underway for the new stadium – based at Leakes Road in Tarneit.

Situated 600 metres west of the Leakes and Sewell Road intersection, the early works will see the construction of the site’s haul road to create access to the stadium site for construction vehicles, as well as upgrades to Leakes Road and construction of the interim Ison Road.

Early works are able to proceed while the stadium and the surrounding precinct’s Concept Master Plan awaits the tick of approval. This plan was submitted to the Victorian State Government in July.

Refreshed timeframes have also been established, given the unpredictable nature of COVID-19.

“We thank all of our stakeholders, members and fans for their unwavering support as we continue to work hard on delivering a world-class precinct,” WMG Chairman Jason Sourasis said in a statement on WU’s official website.

“Over the past two pandemic affected years, the club has grown enormously to not only field an A-League team but to include a youth academy with two teams playing in the Victorian NPL, securing a W-League licence for the 2022/23 season, the establishment of a women’s development program, as well as Frame Football and Powerchair teams.

“Whilst the planning process has taken longer than we had hoped, it is vitally important we get the masterplan for the whole precinct right from the start.

“The precinct will allow for the continued growth of our sporting organisation as we expand our academies and pathways further, as well as building a sporting centrepiece for the rapidly growing population in the west of Melbourne.

“This project will shift the professional sporting landscape, as it is the first of its kind in our country. In addition to the sporting legacy, our project gives the west of Melbourne a social and economic boost, which is much needed in these challenging times.”

Additional information on Western Melbourne Group’s project can be viewed via their website here.

NSW Sports Minister puts plan forward for return of community sport

Junior football

NSW grassroots clubs and associations have received a major boost in the road towards returning to a COVID-safe community sport setup.

Whilst roadmap plans had been provided for the hospitality and education sectors in recent weeks, the community sporting sector had been left in the dark in the path to return to normality.

Speaking with Chris Smith at 2GB, NSW Sports Minister Natalie Ward outlined the future for community sporting clubs and associations going forward.

“I’ve put a plan forward. I have been a really strong advocate for a return to community sport. I’ve spoken to [NSW Health Minister] Brad Hazzard as recently as yesterday, and I’ve spoken with all of the sporting organisations to put a plan to him to say that we need a clear pathway out of here,” she said.

“Double vax is the key of course, and that is so that we can provide that clarity. The government’s announced that at 70% double-dosed groups of 20 can gather, so why can’t they gather and train together? Why can’t they be out there training and kicking a ball around?”

When probed about the potential attendance of parents at community sporting events, Ward was empathetic to the challenges NSW sporting families have faced whilst remaining cautious.

“We know that last time in lockdown that parents were restricted in what they could do. Now we know with the double dose that people are very aware that they need to comply with those orders [and] to do so safely so that everyone attending can do it in a very COVID-safe way,” she said.

“The last thing we want is to be able to open up the season and then have to shut it down.”

In support of the clubs and associations, Ward added: “I’ve got such faith in them [the clubs and associations], because they know their players; they know their members; they know their registrations; and they’re really good at implementing these plans.”

“So, I’ve put to [NSW] Health that there’s no better organisations than these sporting clubs [and] community clubs who have these volunteers that take this really seriously. They know this better than anyone.

“I’ve got confidence in them and I’ve said they’re ready, willing and able to implement this plan to give us a clear green light to get going.”

For grassroots clubs who have unfortunately had to shut down due to the impact of the extensive lockdown, Ward stressed the importance of providing a lifeline.

“It’s been really distressing. My family has been involved in a grassroots club [and] they run on nothing – the smell of an oily rag and volunteers,” she said.

“I have said to the treasurer that he needs to consider that they’re really clinging on. And the sooner that we can open the season up, even late as it is, as soon as we can get out there that’s throwing them a lifeline.”

A recent survey of Australia’s 70,000 community sport clubs has found almost all have lost money, with thousands of them facing the risk of going under.

It is found that 83 per cent of respondents reported their earnings were down by an average of $18,500 and 13 per cent feared they could go to the wall. The foundation’s CEO, Patrick Walker, revealed that amounted to about 9,000 clubs nationally.

The full survey, which was commissioned by the Australian Sport Foundation, can be accessed here.

© 2021 Soccerscene Industry News. All Rights reserved. Reproduction is prohibited.

Most Popular Topics

Editor Picks