New synthetic pitch confirmed for R.D. Egan Lee Reserve

Knox City FC

A new synthetic football pitch has been confirmed alongside the potential creation of a planting program for R.D. Egan Lee Reserve at Knoxfield, in Victoria.

The new pitch will be developed with a focus on current best practice to minimise environmental impacts, such as the introduction of newer systems and technology like ‘no fill’ or cork infill.

Knox City Football Club, the side who call Egan Lee home, is one of the largest and fastest growing in Knox. It uses the reserve for training and competition games but in recent years has had to cancel sessions due to the ground conditions.

A correctly-constructed synthetic field play consistently, drain effectively and remain useable nearly all year round.

The new pitch will be installed in the south-western corner of the reserve and be available for public use outside of club hours. Two natural turf fields will remain at the reserve.

Knox Mayor, Cr Susan Laukens said Council had considered the sporting needs of the community along with the potential environmental impacts in an announcement via Knox City Council.

“Our community needs areas to play sport and we do need to consider that synthetic surfaces are an option for our sporting groups so then they can play on their field all year round,” she said in a statement.

“Soccer is a winter sport and our fields do get a lot of usage. With increasing numbers of juniors and female players, our turf fields have never been used so much.

“As part of the synthetic pitch and wetlands project development, and the creation of planting programs for these projects, Council will investigate opportunities to incorporate additional trees into the proposed car park landscape, wetlands and surrounding perimeter of the reserve.

“We have continued to strengthen the environmental outcomes with this project and now we have an increase in tree canopy planting. We can always do with more trees.”

Previous ArticleNext Article

Western United ruled out of 2026–27 A-League season

Western United’s participation in the A-Leagues has officially been terminated, ending the club’s immediate pathway back into Australia’s professional football competitions.

The Australian Professional Leagues (APL) terminated Western United’s Club Participation Agreement on Monday, following months of discussions over the club’s future.

The decision comes after Western United’s attempt to secure a return to the A-League for the 2026–27 season was unsuccessful. Football Australia had previously determined that the club did not meet the requirements to retain its licence.

Western United has now turned its attention towards rebuilding the organisation under new ownership, with the club targeting a return to the A-League for the 2027–28 season.

In a statement, Western United said the termination creates an opportunity for “new custodians, new investment and a fresh start”, while emphasising the importance of maintaining the club’s identity in Melbourne’s west.

The club’s financial problems have been a major issue over the past two years with the club being placed into a conditional hibernation ahead of the 2025/26 A-League season.

The APL said its decision was made following the club’s breach of several obligations under the agreement, including compliance with Football Australia’s National Club Licensing Regulations.

The club’s proposed 2027–28 comeback will therefore depend on securing new investment, addressing its outstanding operational requirements and demonstrating that it can meet the conditions necessary to re-enter the A-Leagues.

While Monday’s decision brings an end to Western United’s current participation agreement, the club maintains that it is not the end for Western United.

Now, the club that won the A-League grand final just four years ago, will now turn its attention to restructuring the business and building a sustainable platform for a potential return to Australia’s professional football landscape.

 

 

ParaMatilda to headline Frankston Pines’ new cerebral palsy program

A ParaMatilda will appear at Frankston Pines Soccer Club on Saturday as the club launches Victoria’s newest cerebral palsy football program during Football Victoria’s first dedicated Para Engagement Round.

The event, part of Round 7 of the All Abilities League Junior & Youth divisions, runs at Monterey Reserve, Monterey Boulevard, Frankston North. Children and young people with cerebral palsy, acquired brain injury or stroke-related symptoms can register for come-and-try sessions and meet current para athletes.

The ParaMatildas are the reigning world champions after winning the 2024 IFCPF Women’s World Cup. The victory made them the first Australian national football side to win a World Cup at any level. Goalkeeper and captain Katelyn Smith scored a hat-trick in the 6-2 final win over the United States.

The round coincides with Frankston Pines’ official launch of its new cerebral palsy football program. The club has organised a day including a Beyond the Limits cerebral palsy football showcase, community market stalls, face painting, a colouring competition, a jumping castle, fairy floss and a free sausage sizzle.

The event also raises awareness of Football Victoria’s upcoming Para Pathways Clinics, which will provide children and young people with neurological conditions an opportunity to explore the para football pathway. Further details about the clinics will be released soon.

The engagement round builds on the growth of Victoria’s All Abilities League, which has expanded from a single division in 2017 to 20 teams across four divisions representing 12 clubs this season.

Football Victoria launched its Disability Football Framework in December 2025, a strategic initiative to strengthen the delivery of disability football programs across the state. The Framework sets direction for FV’s work, guiding the development of new resources, guidance and minimum standards that clubs can use in the future.

FV All Abilities & Inclusion Programs Coordinator Selin Arpaci, named Administrator of the Year at the 2025 Victorian Disability Sport & Recreation Awards, said the framework marked a shift from ad hoc delivery to a structured approach.

“We’re no longer doing things just because they’ve always been done that way,” Arpaci said. “Our approach is now intentional, structured, and genuinely supportive for players, clubs and the community”.

Access remains a focus. The 2024-25 Regional All Abilities Participation Grants, funded by the Victorian Government, have supported clubs including Mitchell Rangers, Traralgon Olympians and Phillip Island Soccer Club to establish or expand all abilities programs.

Football Victoria has also partnered with Powerchair Sports Victoria to strengthen pathways for people with disabilities, while monthly women and girls cerebral palsy football sessions now run at The Home of the Matildas.

Frankston Pines has been a regular participant in the All Abilities League, with its inclusive program providing opportunities for people with physical, psychosocial or intellectual disabilities to participate in a supportive environment.

Most Popular Topics

Editor Picks

Send this to a friend