Nottingham Forest considering shipping container stadium

Nottingham Forest are exploring the idea of utilising shipping containers to house additional temporary seating spaces at the City Ground, a move inspired by Qatar’s Stadium 974.

Shipping containers might be used to fill in the edges at the Trent End of the stadium, for which at the present time has a capacity of roughly 29,500. The modifications, which would not require planning clearance, would provide a provisional seating plan for approximately 500 more supporters.

Forest has long wanted to expand the City Ground, and in July of last year, Rushcliffe Borough Council approved the project, which would initially focus on reconstructing the Peter Taylor Stand.

The design is to bring the capacity of the stand up to 10,000, with Forest also planning on increasing the Bridgford Stand as part of a long-term vision to bring the City Ground’s to a total amount up to 38,000.

Forest had planned on starting the work the past summer but The Athletic reported in March that this could be pushed back to 2024 due to the complications associated with the planning permission and other considerations.

The previous season the club made their long-awaited return to the Premier League after a 23-year absence with the club consistently playing in front of sell-out crowds. Forest is seeking short-term solutions to satisfy the high demand for ticket sales, due to the plans to increase the stadium in size were hindered. 

The shipping container design is inspired by Stadium 974, one of eight venues used to host matches at last year’s FIFA World Cup in Qatar.

The unique idea behind the Stadium 974 was constructed largely of shipping containers because of the nature of its architecture, it was the first stadium of its kind to be easily dismantled and reassembled in the history of the World Cup, with its name mentioning the number of shipping containers used in its creation of the stadium.

The stadium, which hosted seven World Cup matches, had a capacity of 44,000, the whole structure is to be demounted and reassembled elsewhere.

Previous ArticleNext Article

APL and PFA remain without agreement as bargaining tensions continue

The Australian Professional Leagues (APL) and Professional Footballers Australia (PFA) remain without a new collective bargaining agreement, with negotiations continuing less than three months before the start of the 2026–27 A-Leagues season.

The APL presented the players’ union with a new one-year interim proposal on August 5, which included an increase to the A-League Women salary cap and a commitment to establish a pathway towards full-time professionalism for the women’s competition within 12 months.

The proposed agreement would provide an interim framework while the two parties continue discussions over a longer-term collective bargaining agreement.

APL chief executive Steve Rosich said the proposal reflected the league’s commitment to reaching a sustainable agreement with players following eight months of negotiations.

However, the PFA criticised the APL for publicly announcing the proposal shortly after presenting it to the union, arguing that the approach had further damaged trust between the two parties.

PFA Chief Executive Beau Busch also said players had overwhelmingly rejected the APL’s previous final offer, citing a lack of trust in the league’s ability to ensure its future.

Full-time professionalism for the A-League Women remains a key priority for the PFA, with players seeking improved conditions and greater investment in the competition.

The A-League Men and A-League Women seasons are both scheduled to begin on 16 October 2026.

With the new season approaching, both parties face pressure to resolve the dispute and establish the framework governing player conditions across the A-Leagues.

 

 

Jeff Bezos consortium set for $2.7 billion Liverpool investment

Liverpool could soon welcome one of the world’s richest men into its ownership structure.

Amazon founder Jeff Bezos is part of a consortium in advanced talks to buy a 30% stake in the club.

The proposed deal values Liverpool at around $8.6 billion (4.5 billion pounds). Bezos has a personal fortune estimated at $363 billion.

The investment would give Fenway Sports Group (FSG) a major financial return. It would also allow FSG to keep control of the club, which they bought in 2010.

The proposal has attracted attention across football. It has also created concern among sections of the Liverpool fanbase.

FSG set for major return

FSG bought Liverpool for $573 million (300 million pounds) in 2010. The ownership group later provided further funding through loans. In the last 16 years, the club has undergone major growth.

Liverpool ended a 30-year wait for a league title in 2020. The club also won the Champions League in 2019. Another Premier League title followed in 2025.

Stadium redevelopment and a new training centre have also increased the club’s value. FSG could cash in on $2.7 billion (1.4 billion pounds) if the 30% share is sold.

The deal would therefore represent a huge return on its original investment. However, whilst the investment would provide a massive cash out for the owners of Liverpool, due to Financial Fair Play there won’t be increased investment in the transfer market.

Why Bezos wants Liverpool

Bezos has explored sports investments before. He has been linked with major American franchises such as the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks.

Liverpool would give him a stake in one of football’s biggest global brands. The club also has a large following in the United States. The New York Times has also reported Liverpool has 26 million fans in America.

That makes the investment attractive for investors looking to expand their reach in global sport. American businessmen Eduardo Saverin and Amit Bhatia are also reportedly involved in the consortium.

The deal would add to the growing American influence across English football.

Fans remain cautious

Liverpool supporters have not automatically welcomed the proposal.

The club’s previous experience under Tom Hicks and George Gillett still influences the fanbase.

Supporters also want greater clarity over the consortium’s intentions. Questions remain over board representation, control and the long-term purpose of the investment.

For many fans, ownership must involve more than financial ambition. The Bezos proposal could strengthen Liverpool’s commercial position. It could also deliver a huge payday for FSG.

But until the consortium reveals more about its plans, supporters are likely to treat the deal with scepticism.

Most Popular Topics

Editor Picks

Send this to a friend