fbpx

NPLVIC Dockerty Cup Final will NOT be hosted in Ballarat, per FV

National Second Division

Despite initial reports suggesting that Ballarat would host the 2019 Dockerty Cup final, Kingston Heath Soccer Complex has been announced as the host venue for the contest.

The news came prior to the first of the two semi finals, which took place last night. Hume City eked out a 1-0 win against NPL2 West ladder leaders Moreland Zebras, booking their tickets in the big final.

NPL2 East promotion contenders Bulleen Lions will face the Melbourne Knights tonight to see who will progress and face the team from Broadmeadows.

Kingston Heath (home of the Bentleigh Greens) being announced as the host venue for the final came as a surprise to some people, with many believing the game would be held in Ballarat.

Regional Victoria has been crying out for some mainstream exposure and the decision to not move the final to Ballarat has upset some people.

However, despite the understandable disappointment from some, FV CEO Peter Filopoulos has decreed the intention to host a final in regional Victoria is still there.

It would be a great sight to see a cup final in Ballarat. The facilities in the Golden City are tremendous, making it ripe for the picking. But clearly, FV have struggled to organise it this season, meaning we will need to be a little more patient.

But for some, patience is running thin.

What do you think of the decision to host the Dockerty Cup final in Bentleigh as opposed to Ballarat? Let us know what you think on social media.

Get involved in the discussion @soccersceneau on Twitter.

Caelum Ferrarese is a Senior journalist with Soccerscene. He reports widely on micro policy within Australasia and industry disruptions at grassroots level.

Football Australia meets with AAFC to discuss National Second Tier

Football Australia consulted with the Australian Association of Football Clubs (AAFC) last week to discuss modelling and other considerations for a National Second Tier.

The Thursday night meeting was attended virtually by representatives from Football Australia, including CEO James Johnson, as well AAFC Chairman Nick Galatas and representatives from member clubs.

Within the meeting, the commercial, financial, and modelling aspects of the competition were discussed.

A Football Australia spokesperson stated that the meeting was an opportunity for clubs to voice their opinions and views on certain questions posed by FA, and considerations for a National Second Tier directly to the peak body.

Football Australia held a meeting with the Association of Australian Football Clubs (AAFC) and a number of representative clubs from around Australia on Thursday 26 August as part of a consultation to discuss the objectives and vision for a National Second Tier, commercial, financial and competition modelling considerations, the Domestic Match Calendar and access to and from a proposed National Second Tier,” a FA spokesperson said.

CEO, James Johnson and several other senior executives of Football Australia participated in the meeting and welcomed the opportunity to hear directly from the clubs on some of their views on these considerations and look forward to having further and more detailed discussions in the coming months as we move the conceptual discussions towards practical ones, and in turn the national second tier becoming a reality at the appropriate time.”

Galatas said the meeting was well received by the AAFC, and that it was held professionally and in good faith.

The next steps are firstly we will provide the material that Football Australia has requested, secondly we will finalise our report, and finally we will continue to liaise with Football Australia as they progress towards finalising their model,” he said.

The AAFC released the report in January as a framework for how they believe a second division could be structured, ran and implemented.

No timeline has been placed on the development of the competition by either Football Australia or the AAFC, according to Galatas.

“We didn’t think it was appropriate to press for a timeline, and instead work towards providing information for Football Australia to develop the right model,” he said.

“Getting it right in more important than imposing some sort of deadline. Clearly the intention that emerged from that meeting was that we now work as stakeholders to complete the tasks, so short term is better than long term but there is no specific timeline.”

Football Australia recently included a placeholder for a National Second Tier competition on its domestic match calendar.

Future of Football 2020+ constitutional reforms passed by Football Queensland

FQLD

Queensland have taken massive strides towards a stronger footballing future with the announcement that constitutional reforms have been passed across the game.

In what is significant news for the state, the Future of Football 2020+ constitutional reforms have been passed following a vote at the Football Queensland Extraordinary General Meeting held on Saturday, August 28.

FQ Members voted on 11 resolutions put forward with an overwhelming show of support for the Future of Football 2020+ reforms, the first the game has seen in 20 years.

Football Queensland President Ben Richardson acknowledged the significance of the occasion for the state’s footballing participants.

“Today is a momentous day for football in Queensland and we have reached an incredibly exciting milestone. I want to thank our members and the wider football community for embracing change and for their feedback, input and support throughout this state-wide 14-month process,” he said.

“Importantly, today’s outcome represents another crucial step towards the implementation of the ‘One Football’ model outlined in Football Australia’s XI Principles, highlighting the need for a modern streamlined governance framework that will better serve the game, reduce duplication, improve affordability and the quality of football product delivered.”

Football Queensland CEO Robert Cavallucci explained that the focus of the Future of Football 2020+ process has now shifted to implementation of key reforms to strengthen the game and its delivery across the state.

“We can now move forward with common purpose and with certainty we can continue to unite football in Queensland behind a modern, streamlined, responsive, efficient and effective governance and administrative framework from which the entire football community will benefit,” he said.

“2020 and 2021 saw great change across our game in Queensland, our competitions and administration, all built around delivering important reforms to the game.

“2022 and beyond will see years of stability, with remaining elements of these generational reforms implemented, with a focus shifting towards unlocking the commercial potential of our game, improving services to community clubs, improving affordability and preparing our infrastructure for the Women’s World Cup in 2023.”

Football Australia CEO James Johnson congratulated Football Queensland for taking important steps forward in the governance of football across the state.

“We congratulate the Board and Members of Football Queensland on this positive step forward for football in Queensland,” he said.

“Football Queensland have recognised the need to review and modernise its structures so that it can better meet the challenges of modern-day football and deliver the game more effectively and with greater impact for all participants in Queensland.

“This is a significant milestone for football in Queensland and we look forward to seeing the continued growth of the game across the state.”

© 2021 Soccerscene Industry News. All Rights reserved. Reproduction is prohibited.

Most Popular Topics

Editor Picks