$1.5 Billion FIFA COVID-19 Relief Plan Approved

The Bureau of the FIFA Council has approved the FIFA COVID-19 Relief Plan regulations which aim to financially support member associations during the pandemic.

$1.5 billion USD ($2.1 billion AUD), will be made available by the international governing body to assist the member associations and confederations.

Each member association will receive a $1 million USD universal solidarity grant. An extra $500,000 USD will be provided which can only be used for women’s football.

The six football confederations will also receive $2 million USD each, these grants will be received by the organisations by January 2021.

As a part of the plan member associations will also be able to apply for interest free loans of up to 35 per cent of their annual revenues. FIFA has set a maximum loan limit of five million dollars. Confederations will be able to apply for loan of up to four million dollars.

FIFA said that clear loan repayment conditions are laid out in the regulations along with strict compliance and audit requirements.

“This relief plan is a great example of football’s solidarity and commitment in such unprecedented times,” said FIFA President Gianni Infantino.

“I would like to thank my colleagues of the Bureau of the Council for approving the decision to move forward with such an important initiative for the benefit of all member associations and confederations.”

With the funds provided FIFA believes that member associations will be able to restart competitions, re-hire staff and pay any administration or operating costs.

“Unfortunately, the resultant suspension of basic football activities in almost every country has led to enormous financial distress for member associations and their respective football structures,” FIFA said in the relief plan.

“FIFA quickly recognised the need and duty to implement a FIFA COVID-19 Relief Plan aimed at alleviating this distress and ensuring the provision of financial support to assist with football’s resumption and protect the games future well-being across the globe.”

FIFA administrators created the plan earlier this year after consultation with the confederations. The plan was then approved by the FIFA Council on June 25.

Previous ArticleNext Article

Football Australia backs AFC calls for FIFA governance reform

Football Australia has backed calls from the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) for stronger governance, transparency and accountability at FIFA.

Pressure continues to grow on world football’s governing body following the collapse of its controversial commercial proposal.

Football Australia said it supports the AFC’s position that the events of recent weeks should be met with “clear and credible action” to strengthen FIFA’s governance systems.

The Australian governing body said its priority was a “transparent and appropriately independent process” to establish what happened, why it happened and where governance, communication and decision-making processes fell short.

The statement follows a joint call from the AFC, UEFA and CONCACAF for greater accountability within FIFA after President Gianni Infantino’s proposal to create a commercial entity involving the sale of stakes in World Cup-related assets was abandoned.

The episode has since triggered a wider governance dispute in football, amid mounting calls for structural changes within FIFA.

FIFPRO Europe president David Terrier argued that the organisation needs sweeping governance reform rather than simply a change of leadership.

Football Australia stopped short of explicitly calling for Infantino’s resignation, instead aligning itself with the AFC’s broader call for institutional reform.

“Football Australia will continue to engage actively and constructively with and through our Confederation, the AFC, and alongside our fellow Member Associations as this process progresses,” the governing body said.

The position gives the AFC further backing from one of its major member associations.

FIFA faces an increasingly public and volatile debate over how power, commercial decision-making and accountability should operate within the global game.

Infantino remains in office and is seeking re-election, with the next FIFA presidential election scheduled for March 2027.

GIOCA and Avondale FC partner to honour club’s Italian heritage

In an announcement made via social media this week, GIOCA revealed Avondale FC as its latest club partner.

 

Shared heritage, common goals

Both GIOCA and Avondale share Italian identity and heritage, with the NPL Victoria side embracing its Italian roots since its beginnings in 1984.

Founded by Italian immigrants, Avondale FC (then known as “Keilor I.C.K.A.”) became a cornerstone of the Avondale community following a relocation in 1999.

And now, over 40 years since its founding, Avondale will honour its past with a partnership built for the future.

Teaming up with GIOCA – a brand established by footballers, for footballers – kicks off an alliance which combines a respect for history while bringing clubs and kits into the modern game.

“We’re excited to partner with Avondale FC to design, develop and deliver their Teamwear as they prepare for the upcoming Australian Championship and the 2027 NPL Victoria season,” GIOCA said via social media.

“A powerhouse club with a proud Italian heritage, this partnership hits close to home.”

“It was only fitting that we launched it surrounded by people, culture and traditions that connects us to our heritage.”

 

Announcing a special type of Teamwear

The shirts which represent the clubs we love all hold a deep history. They connect us to a team’s beginnings and the values which brought them to where they are today.

Therefore, establishing a kit designed and developed by both GIOCA and Avondale demands respect for the shared Italian culture underpinning both organisations.

In a unique photoshoot to promote the new kit release, players from both the men’s and women’s team were captured not in the glitz and glamour of the pitch, but in the ordinary settings which mean the most to the community.

Photos showed players in a garden enjoying a game of ‘scopa’, as well as in a bar alongside coffees and special editions of La Gazzetta dello Sport.

It is partnerships such as this which truly capture the attention of fans and players alike. The creative announcement reflects an important part of the club’s culture, and demonstrates that history and the future are not so distant after all.

Click here to see the official announcement on GIOCA’s social media.

Most Popular Topics

Editor Picks

Send this to a friend