Northern Falcons FC boosted by lighting upgrades from World Game Facilities Fund

Northern Falcons Football Club will receive a substantial lighting upgrade at their home ground in Preston, through a grant received from the Victorian Government’s World Game Facilities Fund.

The World Game Facilities Fund committed $3.8 million to 11 community football facility projects this year, one of them being the lighting upgrades at GH Mott Reserve.

President of the Northern Falcons Football Club, Frank Pizzo, explained the process behind the club’s push to secure the funding.

“We were advised of the grants being available by our local Darebin council,” he told Soccerscene.

“We were discussing with the council (along with Darebin Falcons Women’s Football Club – who we share the facility with) for quite a number of months about how we could get the lighting upgrades. Both clubs were screaming for extra training and facility space for our players.

“There are currently no lights at that facility, so during the winter you can’t train on it. It just doesn’t get the use we could get out of it.

“The council eventually said put in a proposal with the World Game Facilities Fund and see how we go with that, so we started that process with their help and the rest is history.”

The works are set to begin next month according to Pizzo, with a completion date of March of next year.

He believes the upgrades will have a whole range of benefits for not only the club, but also the local community.

“The benefits are going to be amazing,” he said.

“To put it into context, we probably knocked back in excess of 80 kids last year – boys and girls, who we couldn’t accommodate at our main venue.

“There are just no other venues available, so basically the kids weren’t able to play. The massive benefit is that we can get more kids to play the game we love.

“We are also now looking to use the revamped facility as a base for our intellectually disabled team. Currently, that team trains on Tuesday night in a little area on the pitch, which is not really enough.

“We’re now going to be able to give them the facilities they need. A safe facility with recently renovated clubrooms, but now also a pitch with good lighting to train on.

“In terms of the community, they will be able to use the facility as well – it is not just our ground, it is a community facility. There will be a spill over of football activities and other activities at the ground such as cricket. For the community, it’s great for them that they have access to a facility on a 24-hours a day, seven days a week basis.”

The club itself has a strong history and reputation in the local area, something which Pizzo himself has been a huge part of.

“I’ve been involved in the club since its inception in the late 80’s,” he said.

“I was a player at the club, then an administrator, a coach, and I’ve been president for the last 10 years. I’ve got a really strong emotional attachment to the club; my dad was one of the founders of the club. My involvement as president is a fairly consuming, but rewarding role.

“The club has grown in the past five years, from just having seniors and a couple of junior teams, to having 21 junior teams including five women’s teams. It’s grown from being a club with 200 members to a club with 550-600 members, it’s a massive job but I love it.”

The club wants to continue its growth and hopes further pitch redevelopments at its home sites will help with that.

“We would like to have a pitch redevelopment at GH Mott Reserve and we’ve had discussions with council about that already,” he said.

“At our main reserve at Hayes Park, we would love to have some sort of artificial pitch put in there somewhere and we hope we can continue having positive discussions across the board to reach both of these outcomes.”

Previous ArticleNext Article

Mark Bosnich to headline Queensland Football Convention

Mark Bosnich will bring his experience from the highest levels of football to the Queensland Football Convention in Brisbane this October. The former Australia international will headline the event as a featured speaker. He will take part in an exclusive Q&A session focused on his career and life in the game.

Bosnich will offer an honest look behind the scenes. He will discuss his time under Sir Alex Ferguson, his Premier League career, and the challenges of reaching the top. The session will also explore Australian talent pathways. Bosnich will share his views on the opportunities available to young footballers and what aspiring players need to succeed.

Premier League experience on show

Bosnich built a career across Australia and England. He played in the Premier League and represented some of the biggest clubs in the competition. His career included spells with Manchester United, Aston Villa and Chelsea. He also represented Australia at international level.

His insight will add value for leaders and developers of football in Australia.

Queensland football takes centre stage

The Queensland Football Convention will run from October 9 to 11 at the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre. The event will bring together football figures and industry professionals for a celebration of the game.

Bosnich’s appearance adds another major name to the convention program. More speakers and information will be revealed soon, including who will join Bosnich to discuss the key pillars of growth, sustainability and technology in the sport. The event will also provide a platform for conversations about the future of football in Queensland and Australia.

Tickets available now

Organisers are encouraging fans to secure their places ahead of the event. Early-bird tickets will end in less than two weeks, making now the time to plan their visit to the Queensland Football Convention.

With Bosnich confirmed as a featured speaker, the Queensland Football Convention is set to offer a rare opportunity to hear directly from an Australian football figure with extensive Premier League experience.

ParaMatilda to headline Frankston Pines’ new cerebral palsy program

A ParaMatilda will appear at Frankston Pines Soccer Club on Saturday as the club launches Victoria’s newest cerebral palsy football program during Football Victoria’s first dedicated Para Engagement Round.

The event, part of Round 7 of the All Abilities League Junior & Youth divisions, runs at Monterey Reserve, Monterey Boulevard, Frankston North. Children and young people with cerebral palsy, acquired brain injury or stroke-related symptoms can register for come-and-try sessions and meet current para athletes.

The ParaMatildas are the reigning world champions after winning the 2024 IFCPF Women’s World Cup. The victory made them the first Australian national football side to win a World Cup at any level. Goalkeeper and captain Katelyn Smith scored a hat-trick in the 6-2 final win over the United States.

The round coincides with Frankston Pines’ official launch of its new cerebral palsy football program. The club has organised a day including a Beyond the Limits cerebral palsy football showcase, community market stalls, face painting, a colouring competition, a jumping castle, fairy floss and a free sausage sizzle.

The event also raises awareness of Football Victoria’s upcoming Para Pathways Clinics, which will provide children and young people with neurological conditions an opportunity to explore the para football pathway. Further details about the clinics will be released soon.

The engagement round builds on the growth of Victoria’s All Abilities League, which has expanded from a single division in 2017 to 20 teams across four divisions representing 12 clubs this season.

Football Victoria launched its Disability Football Framework in December 2025, a strategic initiative to strengthen the delivery of disability football programs across the state. The Framework sets direction for FV’s work, guiding the development of new resources, guidance and minimum standards that clubs can use in the future.

FV All Abilities & Inclusion Programs Coordinator Selin Arpaci, named Administrator of the Year at the 2025 Victorian Disability Sport & Recreation Awards, said the framework marked a shift from ad hoc delivery to a structured approach.

“We’re no longer doing things just because they’ve always been done that way,” Arpaci said. “Our approach is now intentional, structured, and genuinely supportive for players, clubs and the community”.

Access remains a focus. The 2024-25 Regional All Abilities Participation Grants, funded by the Victorian Government, have supported clubs including Mitchell Rangers, Traralgon Olympians and Phillip Island Soccer Club to establish or expand all abilities programs.

Football Victoria has also partnered with Powerchair Sports Victoria to strengthen pathways for people with disabilities, while monthly women and girls cerebral palsy football sessions now run at The Home of the Matildas.

Frankston Pines has been a regular participant in the All Abilities League, with its inclusive program providing opportunities for people with physical, psychosocial or intellectual disabilities to participate in a supportive environment.

Most Popular Topics

Editor Picks

Send this to a friend